Thursday 23 May 2013

Measure once, cut twice

Ok, so yesterday my strips of made string fabric were ironed and measured, and I could start sketching a layout which would work with the fabric I had according to my measurements. My first idea did not work as the quilt would get too big, so I made a few changes and started cutting.

I am quite fond of string quilts, but not so much of all the pinning of seam allowances, changing their direction here and there to avoid bulky seams when possible. This is why I usually prefer layouts with string blocks instead of long sashing-less strips of strings.

The first part went together without problems. A dark centre square with light top and bottom (or side) borders attached. The seam allowances were pressed open, and I was ready for the next borders.


The dark solids and light vintages go surprisingly well together.

Hmm, wait a minute, where did the rest of my fabric go? According to my measurements using advanced math and all (fold the strips three times, measure, multiply with 8) there should be enough light fabric for the last two borders, but there wasn't. Two yards of meticulously pieced strings cannot vanish into the thin air, can it? My measurements must have been wrong ( I know, it is shocking). 

Unfortunately I had used up all the strings and most of my scraps. Not really wanting to change the layout, I had no other choice than start making more fabric from the very beginning. This, I tell you, is no fun when you feel you are almost done and time is an issue. I don't care what Maria sings, the very beginning is not always a very good place to start when you need to finish.

A lot of my lightest thrifted fabrics were already gone, so I had to add some darker ones to be used on the wrong side. It will be fine, two slightly darker borders will add interest to an otherwise very plain design, right?


Just a few seams to go and a little pressing, and the top will be ready. Next time: measure twice, like in two times.

3 comments:

  1. Right! I think your alternate borders will just add interest. It's what I love about quilt-making. We "make-do" with what we have. I'll look forward to seeing the final result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my very favorite, any quilt with darker jewel tones and really light lights. I love the look. Can't wait to see the quilt.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever possible, turn a "mistake" into a "design decision." :-)Works for me and it will work for your border.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.