Monday 10 September 2012

Under cover

of having to mend a pair of grandson’s pants, I snuck in an hour and a half in the sewing room yesterday while he was playing with grandpa.

The pants were done in 15 minutes as all I had to do was unstitching the non-child-friendly tires, colour with a fabric marker, and do a little free motion stitching to reattach everything back onto the knee.

The rest of the time I played with 3 small bags of scraps from various projects – purple from an advent quilt, hot pinks from girlie toiletry bags, and greens from the “Lots of little yellow ones” quilts.

The strips are now cut into 14” lengths (the length of my ruler at hand), and the shorter ones are stitched together for pieced lengths.

Ah, the joy of aimless play, well not quite aimless, but pure joy indeed. It has been many years since I made a doll quilt, and with no little girls in the family, I thought I could make a few doll quilts for grandson’s kindergarten. I sure do have enough scraps. Thank you, Brenda, for the inspiration!

Our weekend with grandson was filled with fun. There were circus, game night, bandy matches, movie night and bowling. I had to live vicariously through the other two for a few of these activities (silly allergies, silly knee), but that’s ok, still lots of fun.

This week will be just as busy as we’re having the young ones staying for the week and I’m back on baby lifting duty. Although a slow learner, I am now taking all kinds of precautions to spare my knee as much as possible, and daughter is getting better for each passing day. I just need to squeeze in an hour in the sewing room now and then; I’m sure there are some pants in need of repairing somewhere…

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the shout-out. My little quilt has now found a new home and the new owner is thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those bright colored bowling balls. How fun is that. I want cars on my pants too!!! Enjoy the family and make sure you take breaks too, no more knee stuff! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute patch!
    I had my gall bladder out when my baby was 8 months old. I couldn't lift her, so I just helped her out of the crib, allowed her to climb out, and encouraged her to climb up into my lap, helped her to walk by holding her hands to steady her, etc. It worked. Still praying for your daughter's complete recovery. Oh, and yours!!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.