Thursday 21 June 2012

Reboot Step 2

While I’m waiting for my ATCs to arrive at their destinations (seriously, it’s been 15 days, how long does letters need to the US? I have shipped books that only took a week) so that I can post the rest of my ATC steps, I have some progress on my Reboot piece to share. Right now it’s just lying here, waiting for inspiration to strike for me to take it a step further, and I think I know what to do next. I’m not sure when to call it done, but I expect to know when that happens, and besides it’s only an experiment so it doesn’t really matter. I think that I will learn a lot from just adding layers and stitching until it’s overworked, so that’s basically the plan.

I started quilting the background with a variegated blue/green thread which I haven’t used for ever and I soon remembered why. After the thread breaking a few times, I simply switched to another one. The background is quilted in a snake-ish pattern with the -ish added because it was too narrow to get some real snakes going.

Then I quilted the shapes with coloured heavy weight threads, defining the shapes and making them pop; orange on the top three rows

and different greens

on the bottom two.

The orange on the top row looked odd, so I ripped them out and stitched with beige thread instead.

Yup, I like how the shapes pop.

I haven’t measured the piece, but the shape is quite long and narrow. The squares are 2 ½” so that gives you an idea of the size.

4 comments:

  1. Oh they really do pop out now. I really like this piece, I can't wait to see it finished. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great mix of colours and texture. I rather like the long narrow shape. When I have sent textile pieces to the States from the UK they can often take over two weeks to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colours and stitching on this piece.

    Hope your ATCs arrive soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your ATC's arrive soon. When I mailed out my ATC's on a last swap. I did not hear from the recipent for almost a month, but she did recevied them and enjoy show them off to her friends. So will yours....I have enjoy your step-by-step makings of you ATC's. Thanks for sharing....Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.