Saturday 7 November 2009

Crazy week

It’s been a crazy week, so I’m grateful it’s finally Saturday. Pretty much everything I have done quilting wise the last week, have to be ripped apart - again. I did finish a little table topper yesterday, but by now it’s way too dark to get a nice photo, so maybe tomorrow.

While I am recuperating from a frustrating week, I thought I might share my biggest Oh …! moment so far with you; it might cheer me up a bit.

The European Quilting Association issued another suitcase exhibition challenge a couple of years ago, themed “My country”, and in an A4 page format (ca 8”*12”). As I read through the magazine, the image of a Norwegian flag with the outline of Norway in the middle popped into my mind. So, I drew the design on a piece of paper, cut the red, white and blue fabrics, and started quilting. The quilting took for e-e-e-ever. The bricks (greyish in the red and white areas representing stone and mountains, and green in the blue area representing woods and vegetation) are 1/4"*1/2”, and the map is quilted 3 times, fjords and islands an all.

Finally, I was happy with my little quilt and ready to put the binding on. Looking for the hanging instructions, I read through the magazine again. Oh …!, it was supposed to be a horizontal A4 page! No matter how I turned the quilt, it did not look right any other way. It took a few days before I was able to let go of the frustration and put the binding on, but finally the quilt was finished and put away in silence.

Imaging my expression when the images of the quilts accepted into the exhibition were published and more than one were vertical – just like mine! Oh …!!!

OK, I feel a tiny bit better about the mess I made out of what was supposed to be the almost-done-squares-UFO, but now is just another UFO. At least it can be turned any way I want:-)

5 comments:

  1. Well, I am impressed. What a project. There is nothing you gals cannot do, I believe. Of course I am not a judge when it comes to a competition, but I love 'em all. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a clever idea for your quilt, and what a shame you followed the rules and didn't submit it! I hate it when people who ignored the rules win the contest. The judges should not allow it because it is so unfair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The quilting is amazing. Its a wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were right to publish the quilt! It’s such a wonderful translation of your country!

    I think judges always need to bend the rules a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How frustrating to have followed the rules when others didn't! It is a wonderful quilt and maybe there will be another opportunity that is even better.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.